Thursday, July 30, 2009

Classroom management...

So, while I know that we won't actually be getting into a classroom for at least another month or so...hearing from former MAC'ers over the past two days has really gotten me thinking...
And, by thinking...I mean slightly apprehensive...to be completely honest. I have taken away from these discussions a number of ideas on how to effectively manage a wide variety of students (communication, discipline, humor, respect, etc) but how do we ever really know which type of style will fit us until we actually step into the classroom? I guess that is what student teaching is all about...and I hope that through this experience I will become much more comfortable with this huge aspect of teaching. I know I will have to go through some quite uncomfortable feelings to finally become sure of myself and my teaching style. I hope that we can all help each other through these adjustments with support, tips, and hopefully a little bit of humor along the way!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree, Alison. This teaching thing is a scary prospect and it's really hard to predict how we will react to any of our experiences. I suspect that most of us are feeling pretty apprehensive about the fall! But let's try to stick together as a cohort even after we leave the program. The former MAC-ers have made it clear that having positive, supportive people around is the key to sticking with it. We need each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your point, and your concern, are both well-taken, Alison. To put it slightly differently, think how cool it will be to be able to learn some things about yourself in new settings. A big part of classroom management is is seizing the opportunity we rarely have to think about a shared environment and what will make it conducive to learning and co-existing. It can be an opportunity to have some really important conversations.
    In any case, here's hoping that you'll share some of your classroom management experiences (and thinking) in future blog posts.

    ReplyDelete