Thursday, July 16, 2009

Media-making...

I was very curious to read some of the recommended "Edublogs" this week, including one done by a former Mac'er, Lauren Fardig. Lauren is teaching English in the Bronx, and her most recent post is about preparation to attend the Detroit Allied Media Conference with some of her students. The conference brings together activists, students, and others from all over to share their ideas and projects while also focusing on teaching youth media-making skills. This is of particular interest to me because I spent two years working directly with media as a producer for two local news stations. I have always wondered about how I could bring these experiences into my teaching, and Lauren's blog got me thinking about the use media-making skills in the classroom. I started thinking about whether I could have my students put together mini-newscasts where they would be able to use writing skills, along with utilizing various types of technology. I could even incorporate daily or weekly blogs! I am getting excited already! haha. I hope these types of lessons will keep my students interested in English and technology, and even possibly get them thinking about future careers.

4 comments:

  1. You have great ideas on how to blend English and Technology. I bet your students will love your effort to bring in technology and love stories about real life application of English in media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan,
    As a former journalist, I too would be interested in incorporating media into my classroom. Thanks for this idea.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The timing is really good, Alison, as we're going to look at podcasting tools in class this week, and they could be really helpful in doing some of the experimentation you're thinking about. It would be great for your kids to be trying their hands at producing mini-newscasts while working with a media professional. That's very exciting, and I'll bet that there are a lot of practices that you employed in your work that would translate in interesting ways to making presentations, conducting research, deciding what to include and what not to, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete