Thursday, July 23, 2009

Technology and diversity...

As I sit down to write my blog, I seem to have a million ideas running through my mind. This week has been the most intense to date, and it seems the subject matter is also the most controversial. Equity, diversity, and disability have been the topic of some of our recent classes, and it has started to get me thinking about how I will address these issues in my future classroom. I have been thinking about how I could possibly deal with these issues through not only my teaching strategies, but by also incorporating a medium that does not discriminate based on race, class, age, gender, etc. I am of course talking about technology. No matter what your background may be, technology can baffle and excite all of us. Personally, I thought before this class that I had a good overall knowledge of technology. I was on Facebook, used e-mail, etc...but there were so many other types that I had no idea how to use! Now, I am blogging weekly, navigating wiki's, "tweeting", and starting to think about how I can incorporate these tools into my own classroom. I hope that these types of tools can be used to bridge gaps between students of different backgrounds. They will be able to help each other navigate new technology, while also bonding over technology that they all use on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Alison, I'm interested to see how your thinking evolves on this rather interesting possibility you're musing about, to wit, that the experience of using technology might create some different kinds of relationships in your classroom. That's a great topic for further research and experimentation, Alison.

    ReplyDelete